Whether we are aware of it or not, we are all prosumers and
contribute to this society in one way or another. After reading the very
interesting reading for this week by George Ritzer and Nathan Jurgenson, it made
me realise how much the world in earlier times and present rely on prosumption
and that we are all prosumers.
The word prosumption
according to Ritzer and Jurgenson “involves both production and consumption
rather than focusing on either one (production) or the other (consumption) (Ritzer
& Jurgenson, 2010).We are all consumers of the internet, we use it within
our lives everyday.
But, are we all producers?.
When thinking about this theory I only ever believed I was a
consumer of the internet, using it for social, education and business purposes.
But then I realised that I am a consumer also, this making me a definite
prosumer.
I have a Twitter,
Facebook, Instagram and YouTube account and I am constantly uploading
information to those social media accounts and ‘producing’ content for my
viewers and followers to ‘consume’.
With the every changing technology which give people
different ways to access the internet such as using mobile phones, tablets,
laptops and other devices used to connect and communicate through the internet
means this is a gateway for anyone to be a prosumer.
“It can be argued that web 2.0 should be seen as crucial in
the development of the ‘means of prosumption’; web 2.0 facilitates the
implosion of production and consumption” (Boyd, 2008) This can be seen from
buying and selling goods on the internet or even just producing and or reading
social media.
This YouTube video discusses the idea of how a character
named Stan uses the internet to consume and produce movies with the aid of the
social media sites YouTube and MySpace to help consumers view his movie he has
created. This YouTube video is a prime example how everyday people
like you and I are prosumers within society and we are continually using the
internet linked with social media to share and create content seen all over the
world.
References:
POLS 3040 Concept Paper 1 - Stan Is A Prosumer.
YouTube, 2008.
Image: http://wikinomics-i101.wikispaces.com/file/view/Prosumer.jpg/33866059/Prosumer.jpg, Google Images.
Boyd, d. (2008b) ‘Why Youth (Heart)
Social Network Sites: The Role of Networked
Publics in Teenage Social Life’, in D.
Buckingham (ed.) Youth, Identity, and Digital
Media, pp. 119–42. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
URL (accessed 28 October 2009)
Ritzer, G & Jurgenson N, ‘Production, Consumption, Prosumption: The
nature of capitalism in the age of the digital ‘prosumer’’ Journal of Consumer
Culture, 2010, SAGE Publications.
Hi Prue,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading this post. It was easy to follow and shows you had a solid understanding about the weekly reading by Ritzer. Your explanation of the concept and examples definitely show a high level of knowledge on the topic.
Your post followed the structure very well including a concept, definition, example and explanation. I did feel however that you could definitely expand on your example a little more and relate it back to globalisation.
The post included an appropriate image and video and all referencing was perfect. I did notice that there was no links within. With each post there are to be several and by going through and adding some it could easily improve your mark.
Overall this is one of the best posts I have read and those improvements are minor and were very hard to find!
Hi Prue,
ReplyDeleteThis was a very informative post. You provided a clear and concise understanding of the term prosumer. You used great images and examples to back up you understanding, all the while increasing my understanding.
I love the set out of it and how you provided a definition and also asked questions.
Great post!