When thinking about sub-cultures that has changed the way I
viewed a culture other than my own immediately ‘Bollywood’ springs to my mind.
Those colourful, vibrant and beautiful costumes, singing, dancing in films and productions that is now distributed all around the world, particularly in large consumptions in dominant western countries such as America and England.
Those colourful, vibrant and beautiful costumes, singing, dancing in films and productions that is now distributed all around the world, particularly in large consumptions in dominant western countries such as America and England.
When I initially thought of India I have thoughts that
differ greatly to the lifestyle and culture we have in Australia, because of
the huge population difference and what seems to be a large amount of poverty it makes you
think that they are less technologically advanced, this is wrong!.
When reading
an e-book on “Global Bollywood” authors Aswin Punathambekar and Anandam Kavoori
describes Bollywood to have had a huge impact on the western world. They also discuss
the influence of Bollywood on the American nation with well known famous Indian
actress and icon, Aishwarya Rai, making an appearance on the cover of Time
magazine and teaching “Oprah Winfrey and her viewers to wear a sari”
(Punathambekar & Kavoori, 2008).
Aishwarya Rai
Aishwarya Rai being a good example of how infused Bollywood
is in western culture because straight away I knew exactly who she was, her
face and name has been thrown around media relating to Bollywood cinema for
years.
Bollywood has gone so global that it is said that “Bollywood
films sold more tickets in the United Kingdom than English- language films” (Punathambekar
& Kavoori, 2008).
This made me think how such a global phenomenon has occurred and how there is no geographic boundaries to globalisation. Jan Nederveen Pieterse describes globalisation “is not merely driven by major corporations, international institutions, and governments but also by social forces including consumers and social movements” Which gives you an understanding how Bollywood has spread globally, with the increase of social demand for the industry.
This made me think how such a global phenomenon has occurred and how there is no geographic boundaries to globalisation. Jan Nederveen Pieterse describes globalisation “is not merely driven by major corporations, international institutions, and governments but also by social forces including consumers and social movements” Which gives you an understanding how Bollywood has spread globally, with the increase of social demand for the industry.
India combined with globalisation is really making their
mark on the world.
References:
Nederveen Pieterse, J, 'Globalization: consensus and controversies', Globalization and culture: global melange 2004, Rowman & Littlefield Publioshers, Lanham, Md, pg. 10.
Punathambekar, A & Kavoori, A, 'Global Bollywood' NYU Press, 2008.
Image (Google Images):
Image (Google Images):
Hi Prue,
ReplyDeleteThank you for an intriguing read. As my particular area of interest relates to globalizations effect on video games, and gaming culture, I was pleased to find a post that took me out of my comfort zone a little. Bollywood films and culture is not something I have had a great deal of exposure to personally and it was very enjoyable reading your insight. You make excellent use of images to accentuate your points, but I would have loved to have seen an embedded you tube clip of a Bollywood style dance routine, or even a link to this interview with Oprah that you mentioned. I would also recommend avoiding vague statements like “there is no geographic boundaries to globalization” as they do nothing to enhance your argument, simply tell the audience something they already know.
I also note that it is very interesting that if something is of personal interest to us we tend to take note of it. I have never heard of Aishwarya Rai before reading this blog, yet as you note her name has been in the media for a long time. Perhaps the media only influences us as far as our own interests go? A good read thank you!